Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI)
You may have heard your child say, "I have LLI." But what does that mean? This page was designed to give you a quick overview of the Leveled Literacy Intervention program.
What is Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI)?
The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention System (LLI) is a small-group, supplementary intervention program designed for young children who struggle with reading and writing.
What are the key features of LLI lessons?
- A combination of reading, writing, phonics and word study
- Emphasis on comprehending strategies
- Attention to the features of nonfiction and fiction texts
- Specific work on sounds, letters, and words in activities designed to help children notice the details of written language and learn how words “work”
- Help for students in expanding their vocabularies
- Explicit teaching for fluent and phrased reading
- Opportunities to write about reading to learn a variety of writing strategies.